Ban1 CREST
Home Blog About Peterswell Past Present Links Contact
 

Peterswell First National School     

 

 

 

By Frank Helly

In 1845 the Parish Priest Father O’Connor applied to commissioners for a building grant.  At that time there was about 550 families in the parish and almost 200 children of school going age.  The National School in Peterswell village was opened in 1848.  Father O’Connor had applied for.When they resigned, James Leonard who became principal replaced them. The school was a single storey building with a small porch in front.  It had 2 classrooms, 1 small room at the east end known as the “Missuses room” where infants and first class were taught.  The other room was twice the size and a teacher taught at both ends, needless to say this caused a great distraction.  There was a small room at the back where fuel was stored and it also gave access to the girls and boys dry toilet. There was a small walled yard out the front where the pupils played. In fine weather they went to Hayes’ field to play hurling.Mr.Patrick Moylan became principal in1902.His wife taught with him until his retirement in1934.Other teachers who taught with him were Mr. Anthony Monaghan ,Mr. Tom Russell, Mr. Moynihan and Mr. Gaffney.After Patrick Moynihans retirement Mr.Paddy Murray became principal. Mr. Martin Dolan and Imelda O’Halloran who taught with both left in 1944.